Registration of Birth & Citizenship
The Embassy performs registration of birth of a child born to either Sri Lankan parent, which occurs in the United Arab Emirates upon request by either parent under the Birth and Death Ordinance and the Consular Functions Act.
An application for registration of birth should be made within three months of the birth. When an application for registration of birth is made after three months and within one year from the date of birth, parents should submit a letter recording reasons for the delay together with the application.
Every child, whose birth is registered under the Birth and Death Ordinance and the Consular Functions Act, should then be registered under Section 5(2) of the Citizenship Act.
The father or mother of the child should be a citizen of Sri Lanka at the time of the child’s birth. In the event, one parent holds the foreign citizenship the other parent, who holds Sri Lankan citizenship, shall apply for registration of the birth.
The application for the citizenship registration should be lodged simultaneously along with the application for registration of the birth. The Consular Birth Certificate does not confer right to Sri Lankan citizenship.
Birth Certificate and Citizenship Certificate serve two purposes, and therefore both registrations are imperative and complementary to each other.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR REGISTRATION OF BIRTH & CITIZENSHIP
- Duly filled application form – Declaration 16 -Registration B Form (Applying within 03 months)
- Duly filled application Form-Declaration 24-Registration B6 Form (Applying after 03 months and within one year)
- Duly filled Application for Registration of Birth outside Sri Lanka under the Ceylon Citizenship Act No 18 of 1948.
- UAE birth certificate of the child issued by UAE Health Authority (English) and attested by the UAE Foreign Ministry with 03 copies
- Mother’s original Birth Certificate with 02 copies and passport with copies of detail page (03 copies) and 8,9 pages which includes details children (03 copy)
- Mother’s residence visa in UAE- 02 copies
- Father’s original Birth Certificate with 02 copies and passport with copies of the detail page(03 copies) and 4,5 pages (03 copies) and 8,9 pages which includes details of children (03 copy).
- Father’s residence visa in UAE -02 copies
- Parent’s marriage certificate original with 03 copies.
- Passport size 03 colour photographs with white background (please see specifications on photograph)
- No objection letter addressed to Controller, Department of Immigration & Emigration, Colombo, from parents to issue a separate passport for the child if necessary.
FEES/OTHER CHARGES FOR REGISTRATION OF BIRTH & CITIZENSHIP
|Birth Registration||AED 95/-|
|Citizenship Application||AED 170/-|
|New Passport Middle East||AED 185/-|
|New Passport All Country||AED 555/-|
|Temporary Passport||AED 280/-|
|Temporary Passport with regular Passport||AED 185+ 555/185|
- Registration of Birth & Citizenship Quick Guide
- Declaration 16-Registration B Form -(Applying within 03 months.)
- Declaration 24-Registration B6 Form- (Applying after 03 months and within one year)
- Application for Registration of Birth- under the Ceylon Citizenship Act.
- Specifications on Photographs